Killington's Island Day 11: I Need A Snow Day!!

If this was winter, Vespi and I would have skinned out into the snowy winter woods and found peace in the powder. Since it's raining on the island, these photos and quotes will have to do as we dream of that first magical snowfall.








"The dramatic silence of snowfall is mesmerizing. I am completely engulfed. It would not be difficult to convince me that I have been transported to a different planet, so far removed do I feel. I whisper a prayer of thanksgiving for the solitude, for silence, for snow."
- Rev. Karen Foster, Spiritual Adventures in the Snow: Skiing & Snowboarding as Renewal for Your Soul








"Why ski? Skiing through fresh powder snow and making your way down mile upon mile of mountain terrain is probably one of the greatest ways that you can find to experience freedom."
- Warren Smith, Go Ski: Read It, Watch It, Do It








"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in quite a different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?"
- J.B. Priestley, English novelist and playwright








"Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads."
- Anonymous








"In winter, it's easy to give up on everything, everything I've planned, everything I've accomplished, everything I believe. In the face of the first snowflake, I see the face of God, and in those who follow lesser but infinite gods, bringing MUNDANE EXISTENCE to a freezing halt, and I feel convincingly that I've arrived in exactly the place at exactly the time I was meant to be."
- Unknown








"When there's snow on the ground, I like to pretend I'm walking on clouds."
- from Animal Crossing: Wild World by Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata








"I thought that backcountry skiing would be about making different turns down the slope, but it was more sereddipitous. The first thing I noticed was the peace I felt. I quickly realized that I could slap on the skins and take off and quickly be away from it all. In the backcountry I found I could think clearly and could often come up with some of my best ideas or solutions to problems. It is a very mind-clearing activity for me."
- Bill Selene, backcountry skier, mountain guide and telemark ski instructor









May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
FemaleSkiBum :)

All quotes found in Spiritual Adventures in the Snow: Skiing and Snowboarding Renewel for Your Soul by Dr. Marcia McFee & Rev. Karen Foster


Location:Killington, VT

Comments