Falling in Love with RamsHead Woods

Woke up my dad and his golden retreiver, Ripper, and made them come for a hike up RamsHead with me.



The BF has been giving me crap, saying that my hikes are getting repetitive, but watching the sun rise through the glowing yellows every morning has become my daily zen.


Plus, by walking the same area on a regular basis, we have been able to track the progress of fall. We have gone from walking on the fallen leaves to walking in them :)


There are neat things too - the summer compressor has finally made its way to RamsHead. With snowmaking pipe being checked and verified, we can be sure that winter is almost here!


The treetop branches are exposed as you hike further up the mountain and the green brush is beginning their transition toward winter hibernation


This whole Columbus Day Weekend has really just been perfectly gorgeous (if you love fall). The tradition of slush and sleet falling on at least one day has defiantely been broken this foliage season :(


And while we listen to car-bound tourists complain about the lack of color this year, those of us who use our bodies as well as our brains have witnessed some of the most beautiful color.


The next photo is for my Hopefuls: only if you earn your turns will you recognize this landmark and know where I was today :)


And it wasn't like the beauty was gathered into one place - the entire hike was filled with almost a wonderment. My dad was amazed at how magical the woods are when you let yourself get lost among them.


Because that is how I hike. No real goal or destination, I just go where the mountain takes me.
"Skiing is a dance...and the mountain always leads."



And then I get to see things like this - a snowmaking nozzle seemingly growing out of the tree :) snowmakers have the BEST sense of humor.


May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
FemaleSkiBum :)

Location:RamsHead Mountain, Killington, VT

Comments