First Snow of the Year: 10/26/2011

I could hardly contain my enthusiasm this morning :). For weeks now, every morning has begun with a dissapointing look out the window.
No snow.
No Winter.
No Smile.









Today was different.






The tip of Killington Peak all the way to the top of Skye Hawk was covered in a sprinkling of powdered sugar!!






IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT!!






But I would have to wait a bit longer for my date with the mountain.








Would the snow still be there when I was finally able to get up the mountain? Would I miss it? Would it be gone?






As I ran up the mountain, all around me this morning's snow had quickly vanished. Instead of stepping on crispy frozen grass, I was running through that snowmelt cloud that we so fear in the spring time.






But then halfway between Ovation and Escapade something magical happened. The rocks and trees was starting to get slippery and the ground was getting firmer...






...and then there it was! It started with a few sprinkles here and there, wherever the canopy was thickest...and then the woods were just littered with snow everywhere!!






I hadn't missed it!!






My heart leapt with joy and my steps got lighter...






...winter is coming, winter is coming...






...the snow is falling and the air is getting cold...






I found myself singing out loud, singing like a little kid finally allowed to make noise...






When I got to the summit, I stood with my arms outstretched and let the cold winter air swirl around me. There was no view, just me, the snow and the mountain. Celebrating the coming of yet another wonderous season.






I was free!







May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
FemaleSkiBum :)

Comments